Translate

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Goodbye October!

 I apologize about not posting on Halloween, but I am sure you can imagine it was a busy night for my family! I know I already shared my picture on my Kidblog Halloween post, but I don't mind doing it again!
Cara 4, Hunter 2, Ashley 6

Now that my proud mother moment is out of the way, let me get back to our Language class.

The Fourteenth Goldfish

     I have been very happy with the response to the GRA novel. It seems to have really inspired some of our students. We have made personal connections with the characters by researching our own grandparents and thinking critically about why or why not the character "Melvin" makes a good grandparent. We are continuing to connect with our new friends in California and the students get very excited when someone from the other class comments on a post they made. This was my first time participating in the GRA. I have had such a positive experience, I am already excited to do it again next year.  

PLEASE NOTE: I sent a sheet home letting parents know about an after school event where our class will be participating in a live chat with the class in California. Due to the 3 hour time change it must take place after school. This is not a mandatory event and students will not lose marks if they do not participate.

DATE: November 18th 
TIME: 2:30-3:30
LOACTION: Our classroom or the Learning Commons

Looking to Next Week:

   Using our novel for inspiration, we are looking at biographies as a writing form. On Friday, November 7th, the students will read the biography of Albert Einstein. In The Fourteenth Goldfish, the character Melvin is a scientist and talks a lot about famous scientists and what they discovered or accomplished. Next week the students will be putting together a biography of one of the scientist Melvin talked so highly about. I am looking forward to seeing what the grade 7's discover! 


Girl Rising
     
      I posted previously about the documentary Girl Rising. Our date got pushed a week, but we did go and view this powerful film on Monday. It was really overwhelming and the students took in some powerful stories of hope and triumph over challenges. Ask them about the film. It will be interesting to hear what they took away from the stories. 
Here is the link to the trailer again, 

GIRL RISING  website @ http://girlrising.com/